The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving, Gris Grimly I admit when I picked this story, I had no idea that it would be so entertaining. The first time I heard about it was on the screen watching Disney's The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949). Few years later in cinema I came across Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow (1999). Both versions were awesome, but after seeing the latter one, I was really confused because it presented the plot completely different from Disney's one. It took some efforts, but I found also Jeff Goldblum's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1980). Now after reading the actual legend, I see that all the three celuloid versions differ from each other and from the story itself, Disney's the least, but all of them anyway retain the humorous nature of the legend, and I love them all.Irving's peculiar, mocking verbosity was really amusing. Couple of times I even gave a hearty laughter for the shrewdeness of Irving's remarks. Although some words might require a dictionary - some were totally obscure to me - I would gladly recommend this almost-but-not-really spooky story to children as well as to adults.