The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw - Henry James

This story is a treasure of ambiguous words, symbols and interpretations, intriguing as much as annoying. I read this looking in vain for tangible facts – the only ones I got were against the main character, who seemed totally irrational bunch of extremes not only in descriptions but in actions, which made the whole reading experience worse than everything I've read so far. Henry James must have felt proud of himself for making such a piece of work, open for many different interpretations (which means you hardly can make a mistake in revealing one of yours). Some observations and actions of the main character must have had something with the victorian stiffness and its false morality in the days story was written, because I sensed there's more to it than it looked like, but at the moment it seemed to me simply dimwit and illogical. The way the governess behaved with the poor kids, and how she interpreted their words and actions, no wonder they were out of their wits.Anyway, The Turn of the Screw is a delight for an English class, even a title is a story for itself, but if you want to simply enjoy the narrative, this one you won't. It's irritatingly slow and indeterminate interpretation of the events from the person you wish to slap more than twice because of constantly blurring and twisting the facts that were anyway scarce and debatable, and especially because of avoiding the concrete purposeful actions that would make sense of the whole story.